Sea glass is glass found along oceans, bays, rivers or large lakes that has been tumbled and smoothed by the waves, water and sand, creating smooth, frosted shards of glass. Sea glass is something one collects for the simple reason that it gives them pleasure. This is what this blog is to me.

Friday, June 13, 2014

School Shooting


From a teacher at Reynolds High School where the shooting occurred:
"Whenever there is a school shooting, people use the word "evil" in their discussions of the shooter. I taught the boy who did the shooting at Reynolds yesterday, for two years. I can tell you that he was not evil. He was gentle, shy, kind, sensitive, curious, playful... He had the most surprising smile, that would light up his eyes. He was a child. Obviously, he was a child who had reached a very broken, desperate and hopeless place. The evil lies in us. I was asked today if I "saw this" in him. Would that matter if I had? There are almost no mental health services left for children in poverty. I see broken children everyday and feel powerless to truly help them. No, I did not "see this" in him. He was not evil. He was a child, who died at his own hand, in a bathroom stall. I am heartbroken for him, his family ...for all of us. The evil is in us, until we put our children above ALL else."

No comments:

Post a Comment